Long time no blog post. About time I did something about that and I have just the reason – a long overdue refresh of the interior of our VW Camper (aka our Ethel).
Last week I collected an old Dormobile (D 4/6) interior from a guy in Slough . Originally he wanted just £50 for the units and the fold-out bed, then it went down to £30 but when I actually collected it he had a change of heart and decided not to take anything for it. Perhaps, in removing the units, he realised just how much work would be involved to put them right.
So, for the next few weeks I’ll be cleaning and sanding the units, re-screwing all the joints (with counter-sunk screws that I’ll fill over and sand for a flat finish), covering entirely with new Fablon (sticky vinyl covering) in Beech finish, and putting new hinges on everything. The only hurdle I’m expecting, to be honest, is finding some trip to apply to the edges of the doors – I may need to improvise somewhat!
Once all the units are in good shape inside the house, I’ll take out the existing interior and start plumbing in the new ones. I’m hoping that will be the easy part.
So, I’ll update the progress on the blog, partly for my own records, and partly in the hope that someone searching for door trim for Dormobile units might chance upon this site – and if they do, please let me know where I can get some!